Windows Phone 8 Compatibility

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I have tried the latest version with a new Windows Phone 8 project and Visual Studio complains

"A reference to a higher version or incompatible assembly cannot be added to the project."

Do I have to wait for a new version or is there something I can configure?

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Have you tried the WP7 or Portable dll? David Fowler said that he got Json.NET working with Signalr on WP8 using one of those dlls.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Hi James,

I used the  4.5 .dll and it choked when trying to add the reference. I just tried the Win 7.1 .dll and I can add the reference without issue. I cannot compile yet because I am converting a Win8 app and I have many other issues to deal with before I can get to a compilable app.

So far, it seems to work.

Nov 2, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I can't seem to add any of the dll's... which specific dll do I need to add when building a WP8 app?

I always get "A reference to a higher version or incompatible assembly cannot be added to the project"

Nov 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hi Simon,

..\Newtonsoft.Json.4.5.7\lib\sl4-windowsphone71\Newtonsoft.Json.dll worked for me.

Nov 4, 2012 at 8:58 AM

I am having this problem too with the latest package. What to do???

Dec 12, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Tried adding the portable, silverlight, and windows phone versions of the library to a windows phone 8 class library.  None of them worked for me.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I experienced the same problem. Couldn't use any of the DLLs from ANY version 4.5.7 to 4.5.10 for my winphone 8 app. What finally worked was that I downloaded the latest zip file with both the source and Dlls, opened the WindowsPhone solution (Source/Src/NewtonSoft.Json.WindowsPhone.sln), (VS will ask you to upgrade it - say OK), recompiled it, got the recompiled Dll in Source/Src/Newtonsoft.Json/Bin/Release/WindowsPhone, imported that into my winphone 8 project.