JSONTools Announcement

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:15 PM
Hey all, I figured I'd post this here since its the type of people who might benefit from this tool.  (Windows developers using JSON)

I've started up an open source project that is in very, very, very early phases called JSONTools.  This is a windows application that allows you to inspect and edit JSON files / strings.  Basically, I've been doing some very complicated JSON file templates lately, and I'm sick and tired of having to hunt down missing punctuation.

The project does not currently use JSON.Net but that was my original intention.  I want to be able to handle "raw" values like java function calls and to handle some raw values for template parameters so until I can sit down and figure out how to have JSON.Net handle those exceptions properly I'm doing my own quick and dirty parsing.  I also need JSON.Net to be more forgiving in the parsing so that I can parse and then continue parsing if there are errors.  My aim is to load up as much of the tree as I can, and step over formatting errors.

Anyway, the project is open source and hosted at Github.  If you are interested in helping out or have suggestions or bugs, contact me there.  I'd definitely enjoy any input you might have James.

Dave
Nov 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM
You can download the first "release" of the tool (version 0.0.1) on GitHub now:

Git and GitHub is a great source control mechanism, but its not a very good release mechanism.  I'd be happy to entertain it if someone wanted to host a real release site / web page for the app.  Otherwise, I'll get to it eventually and set up a proper location.

Feedback needed!  Right now I'm just trying to make it work good enough for what I need right now - but if there are needs / bugs, I want to hear about them.  (Or better yet, receive code for them. :)

Cheers
Dave
Nov 24, 2008 at 5:32 AM
I've done a lot of fixes today and a lot of the basics are finally working.  I've also posted a screen shot here:

Definitely coming along!
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2008 at 9:25 AM
How about you post a link to an RSS feed that people can subscribe to? I have an email alert on this forum and you're spamming me.